Communal Insurance

​ARTICLE: ​​Apartment Building Communal Insurance Explained.

It is a legal requirement for the Apartment Building Management Committee to organise a suitable communal insurance policy including at a minimum fire, lightning and earthquake at a suitable level to cover the estimated rebuild costs of the communal areas of the building.

While there is no legal requirement under the Communal property regulations (Immovable Property Act Section 38) for public liability insurance, this is strongly advised. A communal building is a high-risk area, with items like lifts, pools and car parks which all pose a high potential risk of accident/injury to a vendor or the public.

REMINDER: Under the Communal Regulations, ​taking out communal insurance for the building ​including anything more than the default Fire, Lightning & Earthquake coverage requires a majority decision at ​the buildings ​Annual General Meeting or a Extraordinary general meeting.

Individual Units Insurance

The standard insurance is not for the individual apartments, but purely for the percentage of the rebuild/repair cost for the shared/communal parts of the building. 

Some apartment buildings will decide to take out a policy which includes cover for the individual units (Fire, Lightning, Earthquake, Public Liability & Contents).  

This is an option you can select by amending the standard regulations to include the cost for this additional insurance coverage in the communal charges, however its extremely important to note as this is not covered ​under the terms of the ​Immovable Property Law or default regulations and adds an additional payment obligation to each property owner you require unanimous approval from every owner to do this, which can be quite a hard task.

Committee Liability Insurance

In addition to public liability insurance, I strongly suggest that every building takes out a policy to cover the liability of the individual members of the committee.  You will need to ask specifically for this as its not usually included in most default insurance policies. 

It’s important to note this is different from liability insurance which covers the building against claims from third parties, this is additional coverage for legal expenses or compensation awards against the committee for any claim by a PROPERTY OWNER or public authority. 

Make 100% sure that your insurance agent knows exactly what you are asking for, as this is something that they may not be fully familiar with.  

I recently published an articles specifically on the subject of Committee Liability insurance which you can read here: Committee Liability Insurance

There are three common ways a committee will calculate each unit’s Communal Fees: But only one way is the legally accepted way.

​Looking for ​more?

​If you are a member of your management committee, (or are looking to set one up) you will know that while the communal property regulations are comprehensive, they are sometimes a little difficult to understand and even once understood its not always easy to apply these generic regulations to your individual building with its specific challenges.  

To help with this problem​ my most recent book the Ultimate Committee handbook ​gives you detailed and step by step instructions on every aspect of being on your committee and running your building.  It explains the communal property ​law in simple terms including real world examples and instructions ​on how to best apply these regulations.

To get more information on this book, and view a book preview you can click the below link.

Unlock the true potential of your apartment building or resort with The Ultimate Committee Handbook.

Russell Flick

The Cyprus Communal Guide
Helping you unlock your buildings true potential.

Russell Flick

International Property Professional, Public Speaker & Author of 'The Ultimate Committee Handbook'. In addition to his published books, Russell is a public speaker, columnist and founder of, the online information portal for property owners to get support and advice on all aspects of communal property ownership and management. Russell is currently in the process of publishing his second book (expected to be released in 2018) the 'Step-by-Step Guide to Owning Investment Property'. While the first book is aimed as a support resource for committees, giving step by step instructions on the management and administration of their buildings. This second book is is a practical guide to assist property owners and investors with information and procedures in acquiring, maintaining and maximizing their property investments.